By John Wilson
Chattanooga Free Press, TN: Sunday, 21 June 1998, pg. B5
There were two William Hickmans who were pioneers in Hamilton County’s early days. They married
daughters of John Russell, who made one of the earliest land purchases inthe future Hamilton County in 1807.
Historian David “Red” Gray said the two William Hickmans were
cousins, through in deeds the are referred to as “William H. Sr. and
William Jr.” William H. was born in Tennessee’s founding year of 1796
and married Elizabeth Russell. The other William known as William Jr.,
was born about 1803, and his wife was Ibba Russell.
Prior to the Revolution, the Hickmans were in Maryland at Sugar Lane
Hundred in Frederick county and Frederick County Hundred in the
section taken off into Montgomery County. Jesse had 14 slaves, while
William had 10 and Elihu six. One of their plantations was “Accord,”
while others were “Bassheba” and “Saturday Morning.”
In the census of 1776, Henry Hickman was 12 years old living with a
brother, Elisha, sisters Nancy and Sarah, and mother, Eleanor.
Henry Hickman fought in the Revolution in a Maryland unit, then he made his way to Jefferson County,Tenn.
The Hickmans attended the Presbyterian Church 10 miles north of Dandridge. Westminster Presbyterian and St. Paul’s churches had combined in 1818 and a brick church was built near the
Nolichucky River. Those mentioned in the early church records are Elias, Joshua and Elisha Hickman.
Henry Hickman died in Jefferson County in 1829, leaving a widow, Arabella, and children Joshua, Elias,
Sarah Shelton and Mary Walls, William H. may have been another one of his sons. He was married at Jefferson County on Aug. 27, 1823.
The Hickmans moved along with the Russells to Sale Creek. In 1827, the Hickman cousins obtained a grant for 100 acres at 12 cents an acre “on Waldens ridge on the waters of Sail Creek and adjoining the lands of John Russell, Charles Gambell and William McGill.” The cousins acquired 250 more adjacent acres the following year, including 200 acres for $1,200 from John Russell and Andrew Kerr at the “cove fork of Sale Creek.” Russell had first acquired the Sale Creek property in 1807 from John Hackett of Knox County. He got 250 acres for $400.
When the election districts in Hamilton County were redistricted by the Legislature in 1835, one of the places for holding elections was “at William Hickman Srs.” When the Ocoee Presbytery of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church met at Harrison in October 1844, William Hickman of Sale Creek was one of the delegates. He had two slaves and his cousin, Alexander, had one just prior to the Civil War.
At the start of the war, Elias, a son of William H., enlisted at Ooltewah with the Confederacy’s Co. K of the 43rd Tennessee Infantry. He is listed as deserting on June 5, 1862. However, James A., a son of William
Jr., chose the Union side. He joined the Sixth Mounted Infantry at Chattanooga on Aug. 2, 1864, when he
Elias lived many years with his parents, but he finally married Ellen Mason and they lived on the Dry
Valley Road near Daisy near the Hickman Crossing of the Cincinnati Southern Railway. Their children
included George who was an ice dealer. Floyd who married Ida Elizabeth Sims, Jesse, Slater, Arabella