Finding death certificates for our ancestors is a critically important part of family history research. These important records contain information about when and where our ancestor lived and died and often include names of a spouse, parents, witnesses and, of course, a cause of death.
But the causes of death on death certificates are notoriously hard to read. Certainly, the more we research the better we get at deciphering the meaning of these sloppily written medical texts, but, very often, we are still left scratching our heads. Luckily there is a “secret” code on many of these documents that can help you make sense of this information and more fully understand how your ancestor passed.
Let’s review a 1920 North Carolina death certificate for a man by the name of Daniel Adams. This document, like so many, is difficult to read due to the less than clear handwriting of the person who completed it.
In fact, the index for this record on Ancestry lists the first name as Savill, apparently due to the inability of the transcriber to read the document, which is what we originally also listed here. Thanks to the keen eyes of our commenters this possible error was pointed out to us and after some more research we confirmed that the name should, in fact, be Daniel. We have corrected his name throughout the article and additionally submitted a correction to Ancestry. It is a good lesson in how easy it is to misread a handwritten record, even when you have been doing so for decades – and how often indexes and transcriptions contain incorrect information, which can mislead us if we are not very cautious.
The cause of death is particularly hard to decipher. But take a look at the number that is circled underneath this information. You have no doubt noticed codes such as this on death certificates in your own records.
This often overlooked number comes from the International Classification of Diseases (ICD), or the International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems as it is now known in full – and is currently maintained and updated by the World Health Organization.
The ICD was originally developed in the late 1800s and was known as the Bertillon Classification of Causes of Death, after its developer Jacques Bertillon, and later the International List of Causes of Death. The coding system was designed, in part, to provide a unified way to communicate and track causes of death and was used by a variety of nations. The US began using it in about 1898.
For this reason many official US death certificates after this time include these codes, as do certificates from many other countries at various times. The value to researchers today is that when causes of death are unreadable or confusing on a certificate we can look up the code and find the cause of death in a clearly written database. The information is made freely available online by Wolfbane Cybernetic.
To find the list of codes visit this page and then choose the revision that encompasses the year of your certificate. Because updates were/are made to the database about every 10 years you will need to access the correct revision. Information can change dramatically from revision to revision, so making sure you have the correct one is very important.
Since we want to investigate the code in the death certificate for Daniel Adams above, which was created in 1920, we will need to see which revision was created before this certificate was recorded. Revision 3 was created in 1920, but information from the CDC on the history of the coding system tells us that this revision wasn’t released until Oct of that year – so we will use Revision 2 (1909) since Daniel’s death happened in July 1920.
Upon visiting the page for the 1909 Revision we search for code 126 and find that it corresponds to “Diseases of the prostate,” which is very helpful in understanding how this person died.
The number often relates to the contributory cause of death, if one is included. In the example below, this person died from myocarditis, damage to the heart, but code 131 corresponds to “Chronic nephritis.”Upon close examination we can see that, in fact, the contributing cause of death was a form of nephritis.
Upon close examination we can see that, in fact, the contributing cause of death was a form of nephritis.
Unfortunately, many death records do not contain this information. Numerous records that researchers have access to are not official certificates of death, were compiled by various religious or military organizations, are collections of information from other sources, or are simply indexes of the certificates themselves and do not contain detailed medical information. It is important to try and gain access to the original death certificate to gather this information.
However, even many official certificates do not make these codes available – and others may contain numbers that are not ICD codes at all. Be careful not to be confused by these. Oftentimes, ICD codes appear directly under or next to the cause of death and are sometimes circled or marked in some other way. Other codes found in this area, or in other locations on the document, many be codes for other information or from another coding system. The best way to know whether a number is an ICD code is to do your best to decipher the cause of death (and any contributing causes) yourself and then look up the code in the database to see if it seems a likely match.
The more recent a death certificate, the more likely that it will contain an ICD code. Often, these codes will appear as a two or three digit number, and on later documents they will often appear with a letter after them or even another number, such as 31a or 11a(2).
Now that you are armed with this information, why not pull out the death certificates you have already collected and check them for these codes? You might find that you are able to decipher a previously unreadable cause of death or gain more insight into those you have already figured out.
The Chattanooga Paint Company specialized in Metallic paints and also Mortar Colors. It was located at west Missionary Ave. and Belt, Ry. The two brands they produced were Eclipse Mortar colors, And Lowe's Metallic Paints. Organized in 1884 they would undergo extensive improvements February of 1895. In their first year (1884) it was said they averaged twenty tons of paint a day. And in 1886 it was estimated that the Chattanooga Paint Company ground about one thousand tons of paint a year. One Of the original Colors they started out with a red tint was said to be a product strictly of Tennessee, because all the ingredients to create the paint came from state. And the product was boasted to have been sold in nearly all states of the Union east to west .
In 1908 according to Bulletin 379 - 380 of the United States Geological Survey, it stated they received Oar from the Ooltewah Area . The Red Oar was mined in underground drifts 1 mile from the railroad at the White oak syncline north of Hitches Switch.
In 1916 the President of the Company Albert E. Tucker passed away on June 30th. Born in Michigan in 1860 he moved to Chattanooga Around 1880. When he first moved here his interest was in the Lumber trade. At the end of his first year in the Lumber trade he sold it to Messrs Morris & Woodward. Then in 1883 he formed a partnership with Colonel Samuel B. Lowe as a broker in Iron and Steel, brokered under Lowe & Tucker. Then in 1884 he formed the Chattanooga Paint Company with Mr. Lowe and others. He was head of the company until his death in 1916. He was Also a director in the American Trust & Banking Company, a member of the Manufacturing Association and of the Chamber of Commerce. He was also a member of the Mountain City Club and a charter member of the local Elk's Club. He survived by one daughter Miss Helen Tucker, his sisters Mrs Elise Lowe and Mrs. W. E. Dyer. He also had three brothers one of who worked at the Chattanooga Paint Company as its secretary/treasurer J. G. Tucker. His other Two brothers lived out of state.
In the beginning of 1918 the company filed Articles of Incorporation with the capital of ten thousand dollars. The incorporators were John R. Marshall , Lena Marshall , Mary A. Marshall and J. Voigt.
Advertisements for the Chattanooga Paint Company could be found all the way into the early 1960's
All Photos are part of Chattanooga has History collection.
The original location of the Confederama was located in Lookout Valley off Cummings Highway from 1957-1962. However, the Confederama moved in 1963 to Saint Elmo where it stayed till 1997. In 1997, it moved to its current location near Point Park on top of Lookout Mountain .
Hamilton County Pioneers - The Rogers Family
Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - by John Wilson edited by Christopher Dahl
Long before Chattanooga had been established as a city, Elisha Rogers owned thousands of acres in the beautiful valley at Mountain Creek at the foot of Walden's Ridge. Some of this land he acquired in 1825 at 12 cents an acre. He was from Bledsoe County, having married Sarah "Sally" Thurman there in 1809 when he was 22 and she was 19. She was one of the daughters of Phillip and Kesiah Kirkland Thurman and was the sister of the wife of Asahel Rawlings, who also moved at an early date from Bledsoe County to Hamilton County.They had 16 known children, the first three of which were born in Tennessee. Elisha Rogers and his Rawlings brother-in-law originally had an interest in a turnpike that was later transferred to Hasten Poe. It was near the present Daisy. Elisha Rogers also had a place on Walden's Ridge.
Elisha Rogers was born Dec. 4, 1787, in Montgomery County., Va. His family traced back to Dauswell (or Doswell) Rogers. The name Dauswell was an old one in the Rogers family, and apparently came about when a Rogers married a female Dauswell. The first Dauswell Rogers was born in 1736 and immigrated to Virginia in the mid-1700s. He appears in the records of Halifax County in 1762 in the section that became Pittsylvania County. Dauswell Rogers moved west across the Blue Ridge Mountains to Botetourt County and finally to Lee County near the Tennessee line after the Revolution. One document mentions a transfer from Dauswell Rogers Sr. to Dauswell Rogers Jr.
A son of the first Dauswell Rogers was William Rogers, who was born Oct. 14, 1763. He died in White County, Tenn., in 1824 and left a large family, including Dauswell Rogers who was born in 1789 and who lived his later years in Walker County, Ga. He was a Methodist minister, and the first Dauswell Rogers in Virginia was also said by one source to be a Methodist preacher. Dauswell Rogers married Phoebe Smith, daughter of Leighton and Elizabeth Roberson Smith. His second wife was Elizabeth Vaughn Holloway. William Hurd Rogers, son of Dauswell Rogers, was a noted Methodist minister. He married Mary Ann Douthit, then Martha E. Luttrell. Richard N. Price, a Methodist historian, said William H. Rogers was “brainy but eccentric. His principal faults were vanity and affectation. He had an affected style of delivery - a mock solemnity that greatly impaired the usefulness of his sermons, exhortations, and conversations. But he was well read, and his mind was stored with general information. He was robust in body, above the average in size and strength, though not corpulent. He had a strong voice, a ready utterance, some imagination, and sometimes preached a sermon of real eloquence.” Ezekiel Birdseye, a staunch abolitionist, in 1842 spoke of William H. and Dauswell Rogers. He wrote, "Rev. William H. Rogers, whose post office is now at Dandridge, most respectfully requests you to send him papers and documents. If you could add Weld's Bible argument you could not put it in better hands. He is a learned young man ardent in the cause. He says his father, Rev. Doswell Rogers, Delphi, Marion County, is enlisted in the same grand cause and hopes you will remember him.''
The sons of Elisha Rogers included Alfred McKinney, James, John who married Elsie Gaut, Dauswell and William L. Alfred McKinney Rogers married Ann Cobbs and his brother, William L. Rogers, married her sister, Sarah Cobbs. The Cobbs sisters were daughters of Richard and Lucy Harris Cobbs, who were originally from Albemarle County, Va. Elisha also had Jackson who lived from about 1823 to about 1844, Eli who lived from about 1824 to about 1826, and Phillip who lived from about 1825 to about 1828. Alfred McKinney Rogers was born in Bledsoe County Feb. 27, 1810. He stayed on the Mountain Creek home place, which was sold at public outcry in 1858. William L. Rogers moved to South Chickamauga Creek, east of Missionary Ridge. Dauswell Rogers married Elizabeth Bennett of the Sequatchie Valley, and they settled there. James Rogers married Sarah Holloway.
Kesiah Rogers, daughter of Elisha Rogers, married James C. Conner, who was Hamilton County sheriff. He bought the old Anderson Turnpike, which led across Walden's Ridge from Sequatchie Valley to Chattanooga. Other daughters of Elisha Rogers included Mary who married Russell M. Martin, Nancy who married William H. Lusk, Sally who married Alexander Martin and Phoebe who married Samuel Ware. Another daughter, Elizabeth, married Jonathan Ragon in 1847. They moved to Yell County, Arkansas, in 1850. Elizabeth Rogers Ragon died in 1884.
Elisha Rogers died March 27, 1858, and Sarah Thurman Rogers spent her last days with another daughter, Susan, and her husband, John Vick. Sarah Thurman Rogers died on April 8th 1862, buried in Hamilton county. Near the time of his death, Elisha Rogers still owned land in Lee County, Va., that had been passed on to him.
The children of Alfred McKinney Rogers included Madison Rawlings Rogers who lived from 1839 to 1841 and Richard Cobbs Rogers who lived from 1842 to March 13, 1863. Another son, Alfred Jefferson Rogers, was born in 1846 at Mountain Creek. He married Elizabeth Henderson, daughter of Richard Henderson, attorney and one-time mayor of Chattanooga. Henry Fletcher Rogers, another son of Alfred McKinney Rogers, was born in 1848. He was city treasurer for Chattanooga and was county register of deeds for three terms. He also served as prison commissioner at the Brushy Mountain mines. “Fletch” Rogers “for years was one of the most potent influences in political affairs in this section. He had to be reckoned with in county campaigns for over a quarter of a century.” He married Martha Ellen Lattner, a daughter of the early merchant T.J. Lattner. Alfred H. Rogers, another son of Alfred McKinney Rogers, was a county surveyor. He married Tennessee Thomas. Their children were Harry who married Lena Rose, Thomas J. who married Jessie Briggs, Fletcher and Joseph Leander who married May Gahagan. Thomas Jefferson Rogers, son of Alfred H. Rogers, was born in 1879. He became Hamilton County circuit court clerk. He married Jessie E. Briggs.
The children of William L. Rogers included Lucy Ann who married William H. Smith, Leona who married Francis Marion Gardenhire, Penelope who married Elisha Taylor Durham, Virginia, Patrick and James.
James and Sarah Holloway Rogers had Alfred, Alabama, Virginia, Rufus S. and Charles M. Dauswell and Elizabeth Bennett Rogers had Harriet who married Madison Layne, Sarah E. who married John Welch, Mary who lived from 1855 to 1859, Kesiah Alice who married Clarence W. Palmer, Nancy Jane who lived from 1859 to 1884, Joseph Bennett who married Laura B. Hendrix, and Hester who lived from 1865 to 1887.
THERE WAS a William Rogers in early Hamilton County who had property around Moccasin Bend. This was apparently the same William Rogers who married Mary Lauderdale at Rhea County in 1814. Mary Lauderdale Rogers was one of the heirs of Joseph Dunham Sr., who in 1809 obtained 2,500 acres on the north side of the Tennessee River “on both sides of the first creek above the Suck.” The Mountain Creek property was included in this tract. Joseph Dunham Sr. was “an old Indian fighter and companion of Sevier in the early times of East Tennessee.” He died in 1815, and his Mountain Creek
property was eventually bought up by Elisha Rogers. Mary Rogers, widow of William Rogers, died in 1872.
Their children included Altamyra (Allena) who married Fountain Hale, Mary E. who married George Washington Thomas, Nancy A. who married Isaac G. Thomas, Cynthia A. who married Samuel P. Jones, Sarah J. who married James M. Griffin, Elizabeth S. who married William A. Cathy and Susannah Emmeline who married Charles P. Gamble. The Griffins moved to Alabama, the Cathys to Texas and the Hales to Missouri. There was a son, Monroe Rogers. Another son, William Jefferson Rogers, was born in 1820. He was a deputy sheriff, then was county clerk. A bachelor, he was known as “crippled or limping Bill Rogers.” William J. Rogers was a veteran of the Mexican War, and at
the start of the Civil War he organized Co. D of the Fourth Georgia Cavalry. This unit was recruited in Lookout Valley and it marched to Dalton, Ga. William J. Rogers died near Jonesborough, Ga., in the summer of 1866.
STILL ANOTHER Rogers who lived in Hamilton County prior to the Civil War was Edley Henry Rogers, son of Joseph and Susannah Shue Rogers of Lee County, Va. He was apparently a kinsman of Elisha Rogers, who was also from Lee County. Edley H. Rogers and his brother, John Henry Rogers, were living near Elisha Rogers at the time of the 1840 census. After Joseph Rogers died, Susannah Shue Rogers married Joseph Walling and they moved to McMinn County, Tenn. They were there at the time of the 1830 and 1840 censuses. Sisters of Edley Rogers were Louisa who married William M. Davis and Lucinda who married Thomas Russell. Joseph Rogers, father of Edley, had a sister, Katherine, who married William Roberts. The Roberts and Rogers families had property on Blackwater Creek at Lee County, Va.
Edley Henry Rogers was born Oct. 2, 1814, and his wife was Mahala Amelia Rogers. They were married Feb. 18, 1835. The family lived in Tennessee, then moved to Georgia, and returned to Hamilton County in the vicinity of North Chickamauga Creek just before the war. The children included Joseph Washington who married Missouri Rains, Henry J., Eliza Ann who married Daniel Bradfield, John Benton who married Sarah Sniteman, William Neely David, Susan Emily who married Asahel S. Jackson, Thomas Jefferson who married Nancy Ellen Miller, Edley Anderson, Miranda Lucinda who married George W. Ewing, George Stevens and James Miles who married Elizabeth Fink. Members of this family were active in Burk's Chapel church in Hixson.
Joseph Washington Rogers had 18 children - Martha, Jane who married John Rowlet, Sarah E. who married J.R. Fink, Melissa who married William Hicks, George W., Mary I. who married James Wimley, Thomas, Miranda A., Tennie who married Marion Hobbs, Leona who married L.M. Moody, Flora who married Gus Cantrell, Addie who married J.R. Van Matre, Daniel, Juda who married A.J. Shirley, James, Sammie, Ruth and Melvin. The Joseph W. Rogers family moved to Vian, Okla.
William Rogers and his wife, Sarah, had W. Elbert, Edley Andrew, James, Martha who married Charles Purse, Mary and Elizabeth. They lived at Havana, Ark.
Thomas Jefferson Rogers had William R., James Benton, Joseph, Nervie who married Jack Ritchie, Thomas D., David E., Margaret, Elizabeth, Susan who married James Emerson, and Henry Jackson. They lived at Havana, Ark. Thomas Jefferson Rogers moved to Arkansas. He died there July 27, 1927.
Edley A. and Harriet Rogers had S. Wesley, Lee D., Adolphus, Alva, Desey, Esther, Harriet, Vivian, Newton and Elizabeth. They lived at Havana, Ark.
George and Martha Rogers had Mahala who married Joseph Wilson, Theara who married James Watters, Edward, Ila who married Henry Smith, Elizabeth who married Will Henson, Altha, Bert, John, William and Robert. They lived at Havana, Ark.
James and Elizabeth Rogers had Julia who married Henry Rose, Franklin, Acie, Elmer and Millard, Asbury, Ervey and Oscar. They lived at Millard, Ark.
John Benton Rogers and Sarah Sniteman had James Benton who married Arabelle Rogers, Mahala Ann who married John Clark, Melissa who married Everett.E. Swingle, Christian Edley who married Ada Hawley, Daniel T. who married Kearney Stansell, and Emma who married Joseph Ashley. John Benton Rogers was a sergeant with Co. K of the Fourth Tennessee Cavalry. Sarah Sniteman Rogers died in 1911, then John B. Rogers married Mary Ashley in 1920 when he was 80 years old. He died in 1930 when he was 90. One son, J.B. Rogers of Hixson, was on the Quarterly Court. C.E. Rogers and Daniel T. Rogers, were on the faculty at East Tennessee State Normal School. C.E. Rogers was also superintendent of Johnson City School and D.T. Rogers was superintendent of Loudon city schools.
ANOTHER ROGERS FAMILY in the Hixson area was that of Joseph Rogers and his wife, Rebecca Hixson. Joseph Rogers, who was born in Greene County, Tenn., in 1803, lived in the vicinity of North Chickamauga Creek. He died in 1855, but his wife lived until 1882. Joseph Rogers “was of Irish descent and a farmer and stock raiser by occupation. He began life in very ordinary circumstances and succeeded in accumulating quite a handsome fortune.” Rebecca Hixson Rogers was born in Greene County in 1803
“and was of Dutch descent.” She was a “zealous Christian worker in the Methodist Episcopal Church.” Their children included Anna who married Wiley Frizzell, Nancy who married E.L. Reagan, Rebecca who married O.S. Green, Rhoda J. who was the second wife of Allen B. Rogers, Sarah who married John M. Hixson, Caroline who married Joseph Fryar and Delilah who married William Fryar. The Reagans, Fryars and Frizzells moved to Arkansas. Pleasant Alexander Rogers, a son of Joseph and Rebecca Rogers, fought for the Union in many Civil War battles, including Stones River, as a member of the 2nd East Tennessee Infantry. He later engaged in the milling business and had a 500-acre farm on the Tennessee River. He married Mary Ella Rogers, a daughter of Henry and Charity Wingo Rogers, in 1869. Their children were Leonora E.
who married Napoleon Hixson, Ernest A. who married Leona Gadd, Arabell who married James B. Rogers, Volney E. who married Helen Smith, Lawrence A. who married Bessie Selcer, Leon A. who married Ina Lewis and Gertrude who married William H. Barker. Pleasant A. Rogers died in 1934 at the age of 88. J. Foster Rogers was another son of Joseph and Rebecca Rogers. The owner of several farms, he was a justice of the peace, assistant tax collector and tax assessor. He married Martha Jane Kirklen, daughter of Elisha Kirklen, in 1869. They lived at St. Elmo. Their children were Ida and Arra.
HENRY ROGERS was a very early settler in Hamilton County, arriving in the 1820s. Born in Georgia in 1796, he was married to Charity Wingo, who was born in Virginia about 1806. In addition to the daughter who married Pleasant A. Rogers, their other children included John Carroll, Paul M., Emeline, Matilda and Elizabeth. A daughter, Julia A., who was born in 1823, married Franklin Adams. Julia Rogers Adams lived
until 1911. Matilda married William Champion, and Elizabeth Caroline married John Rawlston. Charity Wingo Rogers died in 1863 in the midst of the Civil War. Henry Rogers lived until 1876.
GEORGE W. ROGERS, who was born in Monroe County in the early 1800s, was a carpenter and Methodist exhorter. He was a justice of the peace and deputy sheriff. His wife was Catherine Jackson of Sequatchie County. Their children included James C., Marianna Isabella who married William Riley Brown, Mary, Anna, Agnes, Catherine Eliza, John H. and Nancy. James C. Rogers was a second lieutenant in Co. D of the Fourth Georgia Cavalry. He fought at Chickamauga and elsewhere for the Confederacy, but he returned home in 1864 and was “forced into service in the regular army of the
United States.” He was a farmer and blacksmith. James C. Rogers first married Mary W. Smith, daughter of Elijah and Nancy Smith. After her death in 1867, he married Lydia Barker, daughter of John H. and Nancy Barker. By his first wife, he had Elijah W., James Madison, George A. and William M. By his second wife, he had Ransom and Emma. James C. Rogers was a justice of the peace and school commissioner. John H. Rogers, son of George and Catherine Rogers, was also a Methodist minister. He married Rebecca Sniteman, a daughter of Christian Sniteman. Catherine Eliza, daughter of George W. and Catherine Rogers, married Elisha R. Martin.
George W. Rogers died in 1886, and Catherine Jackson Rogers in 1880. She was "a helpless cripple from rheumatism the last eight years of her life.''
WILLIAM ROGERS, who was born in 1800, lived in the Ooltewah area with his wife, Elizabeth. Their son was Jeremiah Rogers. William Rogers listed $10,000 in personal estate and $30,000 in real estate just before the war. Allen B. Rogers, who was born about 1811, was apparently a brother of William Rogers. Allen B. Rogers and his first wife, Sarah, apparently had no children. Shortly after the Civil War, Allen B. Rogers took as his second wife Rhoda J. Rogers, daughter of Joseph and Rebecca Hixson Rogers. He was then in his late fifties and she was in her early thirties. Their children included John Pleasant, William M., Allen and James Foster. John Pleasant Rogers married Mary Fryar, daughter of Sevier Fryar. James Clifford Rogers, who still resides at Ooltewah, is a grandson of John Pleasant Rogers and son of William Lonzo Rogers. William M. Rogers moved to Cohutta, Ga. James Foster Rogers married Mandy Hopper Brogan. William and Allen B. Rogers were active in the Cumberland Presbyterian Church at Ooltewah. After the Civil War, William and Elizabeth Rogers moved to Washington County, Ark., along with the Arnett and Douglas families.
SPENCER CLACK ROGERS, who was born in 1816, was a prominent Chattanoogan prior to the war. He was descended from Elijah Rogers, a prominent Baptist preacher, and from Spencer Clack, a hero of the Revolution who entered some 1,000 acres across the Pigeon River from Sevierville. S.C. Rogers was married to Jane Chandler, sister of the merchant Benjamin Chandler. Spencer Rogers was one of the incorporators of the City Water Company, and he was interested in property on Lookout Mountain at the first settlement around Holman Spring (present Commons area). His wife, Jane, died in 1855 and was buried on the mountain. When the casket was dug up in 1871 for removal to another site, it was so heavy that it could hardly be lifted. Spencer Rogers had the casket opened, and it was found that the body had petrified. One of the daughters of Spencer Rogers, Harriet, married James Cravens, a son of Robert Cravens. Other children of Spencer Rogers included John C., Arthur C., Bartley, Jane C., Cornelia A., Emeline, William S. and George M.
BARTHOLOMEW ROGERS was born in Kings County, Ireland, and he made his way to Hamilton County. He came to the United States in 1821. Rogers enlisted with the Fourth U.S. Infantry Nov. 25, 1836, at Syracuse, N.Y. His company was involved in fighting with Indians in Florida, then was transferred to Camp Worth and Fort Cass, Tenn. He was discharged Oct. 22, 1838, at Fort Cass by order of Gen. Winfield Scott. Bartholomew Rogers married Rebecca Gibson in 1843. Their children included William, John and Louise Jane who married Edward H. Thompson.
"RHEA SETTLER SAMUEL FITZGERALD ONE OF CITY'S 'FIRST 53 CITIZENS'
Chattanooga Free Press, September 24, 1994, page 7
by John Wilson
"Samuel Fitzgerald was one of Chattanooga's 'first 53 citizens.' His father, the pioneer William Fitzgerald,
is buried in a graveyard at the Honors Golf Course in Ooltewah.
William and Samuel Fitzgerald were apparently descended from George Fitzgerald, who was living in
Virginia in July of 1779 when he enlisted to fight in the Revolution. He fought against the British and
Tories at Ninety Six and Eutaw and was discharged at Salisbury, N.C., on Feb. 1, 1781. George Fitzgerald,
who was born in 1739, made his way after the war to Franklin County, Ga.
William Fitzgerald and some of his kinsmen left Franklin County and settled near the Tennessee River in
Rhea County. William, Anderson and Andrew Fitzgerald had tracts near Tavenor Masoner. Margaret
Fitzgerald, daughter of William Fitzgerald, became Masoner's second wife.
William Fitzgerald about 1840 settled at Ooltewah in the section that later was taken off as James County.
He was living there near where a lake is located at Hiawatha Estates when he died of dropsy on March 5,
1850. His widow, Eda Dobbs Fitzgerald, lived until about the time of the Civil War.
Samuel Fitzgerald, who was born about 1804, married Nancy Blankenship in 1828 in Franklin County, GA.
He was one of the early investors in Chattanooga as well as the village of Cottonport near Washington in
Rhea County. Apparently, Samuel Fitzgerald joined his relatives in the West soon after his father's death.
His children included Rounse, Eglatine, Clementine, William, John and George. Another daughter, Mary
Tennessee, married David Stewart Stokes. A son, Will Stokes, was a leading Chattanooga photographer for
Another son of Samuel Fitzgerald was named Hiram Douglas after a well-known preacher at Ooltewah.
Hiram D. Fitzgerald stayed in Chattanooga and was a lieutenant on the police department at the time of the
cholera and yellow fever epidemics. Then he was chief of the fire department. He married Maggie
Vineyard. When Hiram died in 1918, he was termed "the last member of a large family. His parents were
pioneers who lived among the Indians." His daughter, Carlia May, married W.A. Degler and they lived on
Other children of William Fitzgerald included Mary, Nasa, William Jr. and Woodson. Mary Fitzgerald had
a son, Nasa A. Fitzgerald, who was killed on March 26, 1907, when he was hit by a train.
Willaim Fitzgerald Jr. occupied his parents' old home at Ooltewah. He married Angeline Denny, whose
sister, Nancy, married Woodson Fitzgerald. The children of William Jr. included Elijah, Angeline who
married a Jones, Savannah who married a Hixson, and Robert Henry. Another daughter, Emily, married A.
Taylor Roy. Elijah and his wife, Cecile Miller, had a son, Frank, and daughter, Dorothy, who was a
schoolteacher. Robert H. F Fitzgerald also taught school and was chairman of the deacon board at the
Shepherd Baptist Church.
He died in 1933 after collapsing while in the procession for the funeral of his cousin, William A.
Woodson Fitzgerald was featured in one James County publication as a 'progressive citizen, a strong
believer in education, and a member of the Baptist church.' He had 137 acres on the Georgetown and
Ringgold Road two miles south of Ooltewah and was a farmer and stock raiser.
During the Civil War Woodson Fitzgerald fought for the South with Company F of the 36th Tennessee
Infantry. He was wounded during the second day of the fighting at Chickamauga with a minie ball passingthrough the upper part of his right leg, shattering two bones. His wife was able to reach him at Green's Lake
and take him home in an ox cart.
His children included William Augustus, R.A., Eli B., Jennie, Thomas, Mary, Hiram Douglas and Margaret
M. William A. Fitzgerald married Sarah Catherine Chapman, and their children included Elbert Lawrence,
Robert L., Tavner Herbert, Addie, Inester, William Garrett and Nancy A.
Some of the descendants of the Baptist minister Archibald Fitzgerald also lived in the vicinity of Ooltewah.
Archibald was from South Carolina, but he was living on the Duck River in West Tennessee when his son,
Asa, was born in 1809.
The family moved to Indiana, but later returned to Tennessee. Asa Fitzgerald went in the Baptist pulpit in
1851. He married Judith Warren of Indiana, then in 1874 he married Margaret Whittle, a native of Sevier
Several of Asa's sons fought on the Union side. Archibald, Eli B. and Squire joined William Clift's outfit at
Huntsville, Ala. John F. , who was later county jailkeeper, was with Company B of the First Tennessee
William H. Fitzgerald , the only son of Asa by his second wife, became a prominent minister and at one
time pastored the First Baptist Church of Asheville, N.C. Later Dr. Fitzgerald was a missionary to Indians
at Cherokee, N.C.
Archibald Fitzgerald was born in 1834 in Indiana. He married Susan Mary Melvina Baker and they lived at
the railroad stop at Howardsville near Apison. Their children were Eli A. "Dump" who married Susan
Garner, Mary Jane who died of typhoid fever in 1880, Squier, Henry Harrison who married Ida Kelley,
Evandil who died as an infant, and Callie who was a popular music teacher. Another son, William Luther,
married Kate Alexander. Their daughter, Evandil, married Claude Howell and lives in Chattanooga.
Elijah, another son of Archibald and Susan Fitzgerald, married Annie McGee. Their daughter, Mabel,
married Jack Cornutt. The children of his son, Otto, still living are Lou, Archie and Ruth Buckner. Lou
Fitzgerald is a longtime major league baseball scout. Archie Fitzgerald is vice chairman of Cleveland Bank
and Trust Co.
The Fitzgerald Cemetery in 1938 was 'in the woods with very bad roads leading to it, and the cemetery
itself is much neglected and overgrown.' The cemetery is now beside the splendidly manicured 17th green
of the Honors Course."
BOYDS PAID 50 CENTS – $2 AN ACRE FOR OOLTEWAH LAND IN EARLY 1800s
Alexander Boyd settled in the vicinity of Ooltewah before the Indian removal, purchasing his land near
White Oak Mountain for as little as a quarter an acre. Several of his grandchildren fought for the
The Boyds apparently went from Scotland to Pennsylvania and to frontier Tennessee just after the
Revolution. Alexander Boyd was born about 1784. Hugh Boyd, who was born about 1788 and
accompanied him to Ooltewah, was apparently his brother. William and Elliott Hodge Boyd may have
been brothers also.
The Boyds made their way to Jackson and Hall counties in Georgia – probably attracted by the land
lotteries. Alexander Boyd was married in Jackson County to Margaret McCarroll in 1808. One Georgia
deed that same year is from William Boyd Sr. to Hugh Boyd for and adjoining the lines of William and
Alexander Boyd.Some of these Boyds made their way to Bledsoe County about 1818. William and Elliott Hodge Boyd
stayed there, while Alexander and Hugh moved to Hamilton County about 1836.
Hugh Boyd’s wife was Mary. Their daughter, Cynthia, was born in Georgia. The other children included
W. L., John William, James, Hugh A. and Elizabeth. Another daughter, Sarah, married Jonathan Acuff.
Alexander Boyd’s youngest daughter, Matilda, was born in Georgia in 1809. She married William Phelps
and they lived in Sequatchie County. The other children included Mary who married john S. rains, John
Hodge who married Mahala Bush, Clarinda who married Winston Pollard, Elliott Green who married
Nicey A Nowlin, Nehemiah Wade who married Susan McCombs, Taylor, William and Margaret who
married John B. Acuff.
Alexander Boyd had grants of 80, 160 and 80 acres on the road known later as Ooltewah-Ringgold Road.
He paid $2 per acre for the 160 acres and 50 cents per acre for the last 80 acre grant.
Some of the Boyd family ventured west by wagon train I the 1850s, including the Rains and Acuff families
and Elliott, Taylor and Nehemiah Boyd. Most went to Denton County, Texas, while the Acuffs settled at
Logan County, Ark. Nehemiah Boyd died soon after the arrival in Texas, but Susan McCombs Boyd lived
to be the county’s oldest resident.
John Hodge Boyd volunteered at Ross’s landing in November 1837 to assist in the war in Florida against
the Seminoles and he was a second lieutenant when he was mustered out at Baton Rouge the following
May. He also served as a constable. However, he died at a young age in 1844, leaving his wife with three
sons and a daughter, Mary Elizabeth who married Thomas J. Seagle.
At the outbreak of the war, the John H. Boyd sons – Francis Marion, Alexander H. and John H. Jr. – all
volunteered for the Southern cause. Alexander, who was in Co. B of Carter’s 1st Tenn. Cavalry, died Dec.
27, 1861, from a wound he received at Mill Springs, KY. F. M. and John H. Jr. survived their service with
Co. K of the 43rd Tenn. Infantry, which was organized at Ooltewah. John H. Jr. married Rebecca Rogers in
1866. Francis M. Boyd was a justice of the peace after the war.
Some of the sons of Hugh Boyd also marched away with the Confederate troops. John W. joined Co. F of
the 35th Tenn. Infantry, enlisting Jan. 6, 1863, at Chattanooga. He died at a camp near Tullahoma on April
18 – apparently from pneumonia. He was 37. He had married Mary Ann Acuff in 1848. their children
were Margaret Caroline, William Perry, Selecta Adaline, Richard Worth, Letitia, Samuel Green, Jonathan,
John Hugh and Robert Franklin. William Perry Boyd married Sally Burke and John Hugh Boyd married
Cora Dantzler. Robert Franklin Boyd, a house painter in East Chattanooga, married Mattie Paul. Their
children included Charles Hugh who married Melba Smith, Chester Worth who married Ruby Hall, Robbie
Adaline who married Jay Hall, Minnie Ella who married Clifford Gault, and Joseph William who married
Hugh A., who was a constable at Harrison before the war, was in “bird’s Rangers” in the cavalry, then he
joined Co. F. of the 35th Tenn. at Varnell Station, Ga., Oct. 18, 1862. He was later listed as sick when the
unit was camped at Tyner Station. Hugh A. was at the home of his daughter, Mrs. T. R. Standifer, in James
County when he die din 1909. His sons were listed as Joseph W. of Highland Park and Walter of
Alexander Boyd died at the close of the war. Margaret McCarroll Boyd had died in the 1850s.
Elliott G. Boyd died in 1855 at age 34, leaving a large family. Nicey Nowlin Boyd passed away three years
later at age 40. The orphaned children included the twins Samuel Houston and Mary Jane, John Harmon,
Martha Matilda, Monroe Catlett, Anderson LaFayette and Jesse Wade. Another son, Columbus Nowlin,
had died as a baby. John Harmon died in 1859 when he was 15.
Samuel H. Boyd married Rebecca Jane Poe just prior to the war, and Martha Matilda married John Mattson
Poe. Mary Jane married James Taylor.Samuel H. Boyd also was a Confederate adherent. On one of his infrequent visits home, he was seen by a
Union soldier, who followed him into the Boyd house. Samuel climbed into the loft to hide and the Union
soldier was going after him when Jane Poe Boyd hit the pursuing soldier across his shoulders with a heavy
shovel, causing him to retreat.
Samuel H. Boyd, who was a carpenter and contractor, moved his family into Chattanooga on Gilmer
(Eight) Street in the 1880s. He died at age 45. Rebecca Jane Poe Boyd lived until 1919.
The Samuel H. Boyd children included Martha Eleanor “Ellen” who married James Montgomery, Joseph
Sherman who married Nettie Crabtree and moved to Missouri, James Benjamin who married Nannie
Hixson, Larkin, Jesse Wade, Charles Houston who married Delia Johnson, Jenny May who married James
Melrose Millen, and Cora Belle who married Leo John Duffy. Samuel Green died as a small child just
after the war. Larkin died when he was 18 and Jesse Wade when he was 23. Larkin and Jesse Wade are
buried with their parents at Forest Hills Cemetery.
James Benjamin Boyd was a master marble worker and was one of the few men who could build a winding
marble staircase. His projects included the Elmira, NY, post office, buildings at Cornell University, the
First National Bank at Fort Payne, the Pink Palace in Memphis and the Vanderbilt mansion at Asheville.
His Chattanooga work included the Post Office Building, the Auditorium, the Hamilton and American
Banks, the Read House and the steps of the Jewish Synagogue. He received 5 per letter for his work on the
Illinois monument at Chickamauga Park.
His younger brother, Charles Houston Boyd, was another master marble worker. His first big job was the
Hogshead Apartments on Georgia Avenue. He later operated the Chattanooga Stone and Marble Co. He
also worked on the Biltmore House, and he remembered Mrs. Vanderbilt coming outside and chatting with
There was another Alexander Boyd here, who earlier resided at Knoxville. He died in 1867. His daughter,
Eliz Ann, married Robert L. McNabb.
Many of these Boyds were apparently buried at the Pollard Cemetery at Ooltewah, which was at the old
Alexander Boyd place.
Joyce Duffy Graves wrote a book on the Boyd and Poe families
Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - by John Wilson
More info added on by Christopher Dahl
Dempsey Tyner was one of Hamilton County's earliest settlers. John S. Tyner, the founder of Tynersville, formed a company to fight for the Confederacy. But the Tyners had disappeared from the county by the end of the Civil War.
Tyners are said to go back to England, where they lived near the Tyne River.The relatively rare name of "Tyner," or "Tiner," appears in America as early as 1681, with Nicholas Tyner and, although the family appears most often in neighboring Northampton, Bertie, and Dobbs counties, in Chowan County in 1699. In 1699 he sold 400 acres that he “lately purchased of Thomas Hoskinse” on the Chowan River. Nicholas Tyner Jr., of Isle of Wight County, received several hundred acres in Chowan County from his father, Nicholas Tyner Sr. In 1716, he sold 450 acres of this property, including “all the houses, gardens, orchards, etc.”An Asa Tyner appears on a 1771 tax record in nearby Bute County, North Carolina as a free person of color, which indicates Native American or African American ancestry. A Mulatto family of Dempseys also lived in Bertie County although Dempsey was a common given surname among mixed Indian and white families. The name was sometimes spelled Tynes. A descendant said they were known in England as “shipbuilders and boisterous beer drinkers.”
Dempsey Tyner was born in Chowan County on Aug. 4, 1755, and was the son of William and Elizabeth Tyner. Dempsey moved to Edgefield District, S.C., along with some of his relatives. Harris Tyner died at Abbeville in 1844. William Tyner also moved to this section of South Carolina. He died in 1778. Dempsey Tyner joined the Patriot army while at Abbeville. Tyners fought for the King's Cause at Ninety Six, South Carolina as Loyalists or Tories in 1775. As a member of the South Carolina Patriot militia, Dempsey Tyner, would have served between 1776 and 1782, often as a scout and spy. He fought at the battle of Kettle Creek, Long Cane, and Eutaw Springs as a Whig (rebel) but, also in 1780, he fought as a member of the King's restored colonial militia at King's Mountain, South Carolina. His campaigns even included fighting Cherokees. As Patriot, Tory, or neither, he may have been conscripted. One can imagine, due to lack of exact documentation, that Dempsey lived his private life and spent his time as a scout/spy in the American Revolution as black, red, or white depending upon the situation where he found himself. After his Revolutionary War service, he moved to Jackson County, Ga., then he pushed on to Roane County, Tenn. He then moved to Hamilton County.
Dempsey Tyner's wife was Obedience “Biddy” Sevier. His sons apparently included John, Hiram, Reuben Jackson, Jackson, Jesse, Nathan, Lewis, Sevier and William H. John was born in 1789 and married Rachel Rider, who was born in 1793 in South Carolina. A daughter, Emaline, was born in Rhea County in 1821. She married Isaac K. Burkhart, who was also from Rhea County. John Tyner died in 1850. Sevier and William Tyner of Hamilton County served in the fighting against the Seminole Indians in Florida in 1837-38. Reuben Jackson Tyner was in the Mexican War. He had married Jenny Carter at Roane County in 1811. Jackson Tyner married Mary Spivey at Putnam County, Ga., in 1826. William Tyner lived from about 1818 to 1861. His first wife was Lucy Ann. His second wife was Catherine Brigmon, whom he married at Walker County, Ga., in 1846.
Reuben Jackson Tyner helped build the little log schoolhouse in Chattanooga at Fifth and Lookout streets. A daughter was Martha Tyner Papineau. Her daughter, Mrs. Minnie E. Fanning, lived on Battery Place.
Some of the Tyners married into the Indian tribes, and the wife of Dempsey Tyner was apparently from the Cherokees. A number of Tyner descendants later filed claims with the government for funds going to those with Indian ancestors. Dempsey and Lewis Tyner in 1821 in Hamilton County witnessed a deed from William Brown of the Cherokee Nation to John Cornett for property about a mile below the mouth
of North Chickamauga Creek.
Dempsey Tyner died in Meriwether County, Georgia, on October 13, 1842, likely while living with Jackson Tyner, one of his many children. Ironically, he died only a short distance from where John Stuart Tyner, later founder of Tyner Station, would live and marry nine years later and where J. S. Tyner's widow would marry John D. Gillespie in 1889.
Many of the Tyners eventually went to the Indian lands. Jesse Tyner married a Chickasaw woman and lived with her tribe in the West. Lewis Tyner was born about 1800. He acquired several tracts in Hamilton County, including one from Samuel Williams “near Williams' mill.” At the time of the 1850 census, he was still in Hamilton County with his wife, Mary, and their children, Lewis, Mary, Francis and Jessa. Francis Tyner Kirksey was living in Fort Payne, Ala., in 1908 when she wrote, “I claim Cherokee Indian blood. I have always been told this by my folks. I claim this through my father (Lewis Tyner). He lived in Hamilton County, Tenn. I do not know if my father knew the Indian language, but he may have. My father was a farmer.” Lewis Tyner left the East in 1850, and he died in Oklahoma in 1882.
Sarah Elizabeth Tyner, who was born in 1848 in Yorkville in Gibson County, Tenn., married Luke Levander Davenport of Marion County at Nashville in 1868. He was a Confederate soldier. She lived her latter years in Hamilton County.
John S. Tyner, a grandson of Dempsey Tyner, grew up in the vicinity of Macon, Ga. As a young man in the 1850s he came to Hamilton County. He acquired several tracts near the county seat of Harrison, including a lot near the Varnell store and the “double stables.” His largest purchase occurred in 1859 when he bought 60 acres from Joseph Yarnell. This community was given the name of Tynersville in John Tyner's honor
in 1858. It got its own post office on Feb. 1, 1860, with Washington Evans serving as the first postmaster. The name was shortened to Tyner by postal officials on Sept. 13, 1860, but many residents continued to refer to it by the original name. By this time, John S. Tyner was the only Tyner remaining in Hamilton County. He and his wife, S.C. Tyner, were living with their sons, Norwood and Charles, at Tynersville. It was also known as Tyner's Station since it was a stop on the East Tennessee, Virginia and Georgia Railroad. John S. Tyner was an engineer.
When the war broke out, John S. Tyner followed the family tradition by volunteering. He recruited members of 2nd Co. K of the First Confederate Cavalry at Tynersville, Harrison and Ooltewah. John Tyner was chosen the unit's captain. Several months after the company was formed, Capt. Tyner applied to Gen. P.T. Beauregard for an engineer position at Charleston. He proposed that he dismount his company and bring it to the coast where Beauregard was then in command. Supporting his request was Col. Alfred Colquitt, commander of the Sixth Georgia Infantry. He said Capt. Tyner “comes with the highest recommendation as an engineer and a man of integrity.” Instead, 2nd Co. K remained in the Western theater, fighting at Shiloh and Corinth, then Perryville and back home at Chickamauga. J.S. Tyner was later assigned to special duty for the engineering department of Joseph S. Wheeler's cavalry. His unit was detached as “Tyner's Sappers and Miners” providing engineering services for the famous cavalry raider. During his time with Wheeler he was an explosive expert and map maker. Capt. Tyner was on leave in Troup County, Ga., then he was assigned to special duty with Gen. John Bell Hood during the invasion of Tennessee in November 1864. He was paroled at Gainesville, Ala., on May 12, 1865.
James Sevier Tyner was another Confederate soldier from Hamilton County, and he may have been a younger brother of John S. Tyner. James S. Tyner enlisted with Co. I of the 19th Tennessee Infantry at Knoxville on June 6, 1861 . However, he was discharged the following July 23 at Vicksburg on account of his young age. He was only 15 at the time of his enlistment, having been born Feb. 15, 1847 at Ross Landing. While with the army, he was a drummer boy. James S. Tyner had developed malarial fever in the Mississippi bottoms, and he was very ill on his way back to Hamilton County. He had to have someone take care of him for about two months. Then he went to Nashville, where he took up steamboating. At the age of 27 he became a steamboat captain, operating packets on the Cumberland and Ohio rivers. He continued the river life until “old age made him stop” about 1925. He died July 4, 1935, at the age of 88.
John S. Tyner did not return to Tynersville after the war. In his absence, his property was sold at public auction in 1867. It was first taken by James A. Rhea and later fell into the hands of A.G.W. Puckett. The store that had been operated by Lafayette Varnell at Tynersville was continued until after the war. Then N.L. Rawlings operated a store there, and H.J. Springfield & Bro. had a grocery and saloon. Foster Carper had a tannery at Tynersville, and G.W. House ran a campground. The Pleasant Grove Academy was established at the campground site. By 1907, Tyner was large enough to have its own high school. In its early years, many of the students reached the school by wagon. During the school day, the animals that pulled the wagons were housed in a barn. It stood on the campus of Tyner High School until 1957. The federal government in the early 1940s pinpointed Tyner for a huge defense plant producing TNT. About 300 families lost their homes when the government acquired over 6,000 acres centering around the old Tynersville. Tyner lost its tiny train depot in 1961 and its post office was discontinued in 1972. A few Tyners who moved here from North Carolina and from Georgia are now local residents.
By John Wilson
Chattanooga Free Press, TN: Sunday, 21 June 1998, pg. B5
There were two William Hickmans who were pioneers in Hamilton County’s early days. They married
daughters of John Russell, who made one of the earliest land purchases inthe future Hamilton County in 1807.
Historian David “Red” Gray said the two William Hickmans were
cousins, through in deeds the are referred to as “William H. Sr. and
William Jr.” William H. was born in Tennessee’s founding year of 1796
and married Elizabeth Russell. The other William known as William Jr.,
was born about 1803, and his wife was Ibba Russell.
Prior to the Revolution, the Hickmans were in Maryland at Sugar Lane
Hundred in Frederick county and Frederick County Hundred in the
section taken off into Montgomery County. Jesse had 14 slaves, while
William had 10 and Elihu six. One of their plantations was “Accord,”
while others were “Bassheba” and “Saturday Morning.”
In the census of 1776, Henry Hickman was 12 years old living with a
brother, Elisha, sisters Nancy and Sarah, and mother, Eleanor.
Henry Hickman fought in the Revolution in a Maryland unit, then he made his way to Jefferson County,Tenn.
The Hickmans attended the Presbyterian Church 10 miles north of Dandridge. Westminster Presbyterian and St. Paul’s churches had combined in 1818 and a brick church was built near the
Nolichucky River. Those mentioned in the early church records are Elias, Joshua and Elisha Hickman.
Henry Hickman died in Jefferson County in 1829, leaving a widow, Arabella, and children Joshua, Elias,
Sarah Shelton and Mary Walls, William H. may have been another one of his sons. He was married at Jefferson County on Aug. 27, 1823.
The Hickmans moved along with the Russells to Sale Creek. In 1827, the Hickman cousins obtained a grant for 100 acres at 12 cents an acre “on Waldens ridge on the waters of Sail Creek and adjoining the lands of John Russell, Charles Gambell and William McGill.” The cousins acquired 250 more adjacent acres the following year, including 200 acres for $1,200 from John Russell and Andrew Kerr at the “cove fork of Sale Creek.” Russell had first acquired the Sale Creek property in 1807 from John Hackett of Knox County. He got 250 acres for $400.
When the election districts in Hamilton County were redistricted by the Legislature in 1835, one of the places for holding elections was “at William Hickman Srs.” When the Ocoee Presbytery of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church met at Harrison in October 1844, William Hickman of Sale Creek was one of the delegates. He had two slaves and his cousin, Alexander, had one just prior to the Civil War.
At the start of the war, Elias, a son of William H., enlisted at Ooltewah with the Confederacy’s Co. K of the 43rd Tennessee Infantry. He is listed as deserting on June 5, 1862. However, James A., a son of William
Jr., chose the Union side. He joined the Sixth Mounted Infantry at Chattanooga on Aug. 2, 1864, when he
Elias lived many years with his parents, but he finally married Ellen Mason and they lived on the Dry
Valley Road near Daisy near the Hickman Crossing of the Cincinnati Southern Railway. Their children
included George who was an ice dealer. Floyd who married Ida Elizabeth Sims, Jesse, Slater, Arabella
PIONEER ANDERSON FOUNDED CHURCH
By John Wilson Free Press Writer
Chattanooga Times Free Press, TN - 1998
When he was 18, William Walker Anderson of Rockbridge County, VA, left his plow in the field at noon
and embarked on an adventure in the Tennessee frontier. He became one of the first settlers of
Chattanooga and a founder of its Presbyterian Church.
Anderson was born June 10, 1804, near the old Rock Church six miles from Lexington. That day in 1822he found his uncle stopping at his home and he decided to go with him to Maryville, where the uncle had a
store. W. W. Anderson returned to Virginia long enough to marry his sweetheart Elizabeth McChesney,then they set up housekeeping at Maryville.
Anderson began driving horses through the Indian nation, selling them in Alabama and Mississippi. Onone of these trips, his horse became entangled in vines while trying to swim Chickamauga Creek.
Anderson lost his saddle bags full of papers and clothing. An Indian witnessed the accident, and a few
years later when he spotted W. W. Anderson he returned the bags to him.
W. W. Anderson, who was over six feet tall and was called “Skygusty” by the Indians, after two yearsmoved to Athens. For his general merchandise store there, he would annually load up his four-horse
wagons with bacon and exchanged it for dry goods at Baltimore. This was a two-month trip, but a set ofcups and saucers would fetch $5 on the frontier and a lady’s Leghorn bonnet was worth $25.
W. W. Anderson was “an unusually fine looking man” and was “strictly temperate in all things.” He wasmade colonel of the militia at Athens and “with cocked hat on horseback made a striking appearance.”
Three of the five Anderson children died at a young age, leaving James and William Jr. In hopes of benefiting the family’s health, W. W. Anderson in 1840 pushed on to Chattanooga. They occupied a frame
dwelling on the southeast corner of Fourth and Walnut. The Andersons were joined by James Berry, whohad married Rebecca McChesney, a sister of Mrs. Anderson.
However, Mrs. Anderson became ill and died September 12, 184__. Two years later, Anderson married Louisa Penelope Campbell Smith, widow of James Smith. Her sister, Mary, was married to the
Chattanooga merchant D. C. McMillin. W. W. Anderson was clerk of the Presbyterian congregation and would regularly lead the hymns. The
visiting minister would often stay in the Anderson home. W. W. Anderson started Sunday School for blacks. Anderson owned several slaves “and always treated them kindly. He would not sell or separate
The children of W. W. Anderson by his second wife included Jefferson Campbell who married Mary Ellen Burton, Sarah Anne who married Thomas Rowland, Milo Smith who married Mary Bush, and Mary Louisa
who married George Vinson. His eldest son, James, married Mary Morrow, daughter of the Indian agent Dr. William Morrow. James
Anderson became a physician and went to California in 1850. Two years later he started home for his family on the streamer Philadelphia. But the cholera broke out off the coast of Havana and he died at sea.
The other son, William Jr., attended Burritt College and in 1857 he was returning on the Nashville and Chattanooga Railroad. There he renewed his acquaintance with Lydia Cravens, daughter of the ironmaster
Robert Cravens. They were married in 1859 and set up housekeeping at the old Anderson place at Fourth and Walnut.
However, the health of Lydia Cravens Anderson became bad and they moved to the side of Lookout Mountain to the cabin that Robert Cravens had first occupied. A son, Charles Cravens Anderson, was born
there, and a second son, William Franklin Anderson, came along in 1862.W. W. Anderson Sr. was “a decided Whig and thought it best for the South to make the fight in the Union, but when his state seceded he went with it in good will.” He was too old to fight, but he “took great interest
in the Southern cause.”
Following a skirmish on Citico Creek, he found a Confederate soldier badly wounded and hid him upstairs until he recovered. The Yankees later found revenge by filling his well with rocks and tearing down his
W. W. Anderson Jr. in the early part of the war with Robert Cravens manufactured saltpeter in a furnace at the mouth of a cave near Moccasin Bend. Then he joined the Lookout Artillery and was made first
sergeant. When his wife’s health worsened, he took a leave of absence and found his wife had hired a substitute for him. He then shipped coal and coke to Confederate authorities in Memphis.
Just before the Battle Above the Clouds, the Andersons fled the mountain, hauling their goods in wagons to Chickamauga Station and taking the train to Dawson, GA. W. W. Anderson Sr. went with them and the following January his second wife died at Dawson. Three months later, Lydia Cravens Anderson died also.
Then two-year-old Frank became sick and died. He was given a “repugnant” black medicine and the
doctor said it was “pure ink.” W. W. Anderson Jr. later surmised the doctor may have been “merely
After the war, W. W. Anderson Jr. made his home at Forsyth, GA. He had a number of children by his second wife, Louisa Estelle Sharp.
His son, Charles Cravens Anderson, moved to Chattanooga and in 1888 married Mary Bachman, daughter of the Presbyterian minister Dr. Jonathan Bachman. After her death, he was a widower about seven years before marrying Julia Leach in 1901.
C. C. Anderson resided just below the old Cravens property on the mountainside, and he discovered “Mystery Falls,” an underground waterfall. This was developed as a water source for St. Elmo. Anderson
was also an investor in oil well drilling, but his syndicate was unsuccessful in a project at Franklin County,TN, and he was forced to declare bankruptcy. He was so distraught that he shot himself with a revolver on November 20, 1902 – hours before his creditors were set to meet.
MONGER FAMILY SETTLED AT SNOW HILL
by John Wilson
posted September 28, 2005 http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_73357.asp
Peter Monger joined the migration to the recently opened Indian lands at Snow Hill in 1843. He took the Union side in the Civil War, though his wife's brother, William Snow, was a violent Confederate.
The Monger name is an English one meaning “one who sells.” Louise F. Wilcox of El Reno, Okla., who wrote a book on the Mongers, said the Roman name for a dealer in slaves was mango. The family is said to trace back to John Munger, who arrived in Virginia in 1638. In 1650 he received 1,100 acres on the north side of the Rappahannock River in the section that became Lancaster County. This was in payment for transporting groups of settlers to the colony. The descent goes from John to Robert and to Robert Jr., who got a grant of 300 acres on Kerbey Creek north of the Meherrin River in 1745. Robert Jr. died in 1752 in Southampton County, Va. One of his sons, Joseph, was born about 1710. After his first wife's death, in 1769 he married Martha Vick, widow of Richard Vick. Joseph's sons by his first wife are said to include Henry and Jethro. Henry married Elizabeth Harris in 1767 in Southhampton County, Va., and Jethro was security for the marriage. Henry Monger made his way to Anson County, N.C., then to Wilkes County, Ga. At Bute County, N.C., in February 1778, Jethro Monger took the oath of loyalty to the state of North Carolina to “support, maintain and defend the Independent Government thereof against George the Third, King of Grate Brittain.” His wife's name is believed to be Tabitha. She may have been a Kimball since the names Spell and Peter were used in that family and afterwards in the Monger line.
Henry, who is believed to be a son of Jethro and Tabitha, was born in North Carolina in 1781. He married Alcey Jones in 1803 in Northampton County, N.C., and took Nancy Haun McKinney as his second wife in 1836. She was the widow of John McKinney. Henry Monger made his way to Tennessee to Anderson County, then Roane County. He was in Roane in 1830 when he signed his name “Hennery Munger” to a petition to form the first school district. He was a slaveowner, including the purchase of “the slave girl” Martha for $375 in 1842. Henry Monger died in 1855. His children included Joseph John who died of yellow fever in New Orleans, Priscilla, Mary Garland, Peter, James K. Polk, Catherine, Sampson who was a tanner in Kingston, and William.
The Mongers were neighbors with the Snows in Roane County with both living near the Clinch River. The father of the Snows, Thomas, drowned in the Clinch River in 1818 when many of the children in his large family were small. Mary Garland Monger married Fielding Snow and Peter Monger married Elizabeth Jane “Betsy” Snow. Her twin, Emily Snow, married James Monger. Priscilla Monger married Dudley Snow. Emily Monger married William Snow, but she soon died. He was remarried to Mary Waller and moved to the section that was named Snow Hill for his family.
Peter Monger settled about two miles north of Ooltewah on the west side of Snow Hill Road near Wolftever Creek. When the war broke out, he was a delegate to a convention that petitioned that Unionist East Tennessee be allowed to separate from the rest of the state. He was appointed a magistrate by military governor Andrew Johnson. William Snow organized a cavalry company for the Confederates. However, Peter Monger remained loyal. Near the end of the war, Peter Monger had 435 acres valued at $5,000 and his annual property tax was $27.50. But he wound up with the nearby farm lands of Confederate sympathizer Thomas Shirley. By the 1866 tax year, Peter Monger had 1,035 acres valued at $10,000 and his tax had risen to $60. Shirley returned from refugeeing in Georgia, filed suit and won back his land. Peter Monger died about 1887. Betsy Snow Monger spent her last years with her son, Bird Snow Monger, in Avondale. The other children were Spell, Rufus, Thomas, John, Jane, Alfred King, Elizabeth, Fielding Snow and Maryline.
Spell Monger was born about 1834 in Roane County, and he married Martha Teenor. When he was a young man, he was killed after a ruckus broke out at a dance. A woman had refused to dance with him, and when he tried to disrupt her and her dancing partner the fight began and he was knifed to death. His children were Mary J., A.P. and John.
Thomas Monger married Sarah Jane Elder. Their children were Alfred Robert who married Zerelda Smith, and Nancy Irene who married Arthur Thomas Edwards. John Monger married Nancy Luvenia Matthews in 1866.
Bird Snow Monger married Sally Jane Hess and then Lena Belvin Barnard. He is buried with both wives at the McDonald Cemetery on Snow Hill Road. Bird was a drayman in James County and with Davenport Brothers. His children were William C., Myra, Dollie, Rufus Snow, Gus J. and Bird Orlena. William C. Monger was elected county clerk in James County, but he was accidentally electrocuted in 1906 before he could take office. Rufus Snow Monger married Alley E.M.A. Davis and then Cleopatra Robertson. Gus Monger married May Sylar, and Bird Orlena Monger married Ernest Fann and moved to Marietta, Ga.
Alfred King Monger was named for a Baptist minister at Ooltewah. He lived portions of the time at Magazine, Ark., and finally settled at Purcell, Okla. He married Lois Thaney Hicks. Their children were Lillie, Elsie, William Peter, Stella, Alma L., Grover Cleveland, Bessie M., Eva Lucille, Maud S. and Eunice.
Maryline married Thomas J. Bean.
Fielding Snow Monger married Margaret M. Cannon. He bought a farm on Snow Hill Road from the Shirley family in 1919. That property later passed to his grandson, Claude Monger. Children of Fielding Snow Monger were Luther Elvin, Charles L., Elizabeth J., Robert Pete, Mary L. and Berdie. Elizabeth J. married Thomas Griffin Shirley - ending the old Monger-Shirley feud. Robert Pete Monger married Sarah A. Bettis in 1919. Their children included Charles Quinton, James Richard, Claude, Glenn Franklin, Joe Edwin, Lillian Margaret and Raymond Snow. Charles Q. married Joyce Fitzgerald. Lillian married Gordon Gilbert. Raymond S. married Joyce Murray. Claude Monger was living at the old Spell Monger place when artist Ben Hampton painted several popular scenes there, including one titled “Claude's Creek.” The old house on the property was torn down in 1973. Claude Monger was killed in a tractor accident in 1994. The property was sold at auction and it was developed for homes and a golf course as the Hampton Creek development by Phil Martin. Raymond Monger remained on Snow Hill Road